Insights Manager - Hong Kong
Prophet is a strategic brand and marketing consultancy with offices around the world. We help leading companies win by delivering inspired and actionable ideas. We have worked with such preeminent clients as BMW, Cisco, GE, McDonald’s, Johnson and Johnson and Zurich Financial on a broad scope of projects in our areas of expertise: brand, marketing, innovation, design, digital and analytics.
More specifically, we help our clients improve impact and reputation through:
- Comprehensive branding and go-to-market strategies
- A deeper understanding of what drives ROI and brand value
- Compelling visual identities, branded environments and customer experiences
- Engaging digital strategies and customer experiences
- Enhanced brand management, marketing and innovation capabilities
- New products, services and experiences
The firm is widely recognized for making numerous contributions to the science and knowledge of branding and marketing strategy, as captured in books by David Aaker, Scott Davis and Michael Dunn, including Brand Relevance, The Shift, Spanning Silos, Building Strong Brands, Brand Portfolio Strategy, Building the Brand-Driven Business and Brand Asset Management. Our Partners are sought after thought leaders and experts, with their viewpoints regularly appearing in such media as Advertising Age, CNBC, CNET, Forbes, HBR, Marketing, Marketing Week, among others.
Prophet has over 400 employees; they come from diverse backgrounds in advertising, consulting, academics and industry positions as brand and marketing executives. This enables Prophet to bring strategy and imagination to our clients’ most difficult challenges. We currently maintain offices in Atlanta, Berlin, Chicago, Hong Kong, London, New York, Richmond, San Francisco and Zurich.
Summary of position:
The customer insights team is an important enabling capability for the firm. Over half of the firm’s revenue is driven by client engagements that involve some form of customer insights work. The Insights team members work to design both qualitative and quantitative insights plans that ultimately help drive the strategies and recommendations made to clients.
The customer insights manager will use a range of customer (or consumer) research, analytic methods and marketing knowledge to design, execute and interpret market research to meet client business objectives. S/he will work as part of a project team, providing idea leadership across all phases of insight development – conceptualization, research design, fieldwork, vendor oversight, insight interpretation and communication. The role uses a combined understanding of various market research, analytical and statistical methods to address project team and client goals.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Translate key marketing and business questions into qualitative and quantitative research plans, often helping to communicate those plans in a compelling manner during the business development process
- Identify and select appropriate qualitative or quantitative research partners, and determine what activities may also be handled internally by the project teams (e.g., hypothesis generating 1:1 interviews)
- Manage external research partners responsible for executing the necessary research activities, in a timely and accurate fashion, including: developing screeners and final discussion guides, proposing sampling plans and questionnaires, executing fieldwork, data collection and data processing
- Develop and oversee analysis plans (handled internally or externally by research partners) in service of project objectives, including recommending/employing statistical methodologies such as segmentation, multivariate analysis, discrete choice modeling and experimental design, among others
- Develop insights and implications from the research, share and interpret those learnings and recommendations with project and client team in an impactful and client-ready fashion
- Contribute to building and employing Insights best practices across the firm, including the development of proprietary or differentiating tools, processes and capabilities
- Coach and develop junior consultants and insights team members
- Master's degree or other advanced degree with a strong background in business, marketing, market research or behavioral sciences (e.g., psychology, cultural anthropology, behavioral economics/decision sciences, etc.)
- Strong set of research skills and first-hand experience with a range of qualitative and quantitative techniques, including (but not limited to): 1:1 interviews/IDI’s, focus groups, ethnographies, concept testing, positioning exploration or validation, benefit testing, consumer or shopper segmentation analysis, need state segmentation, conjoint or discrete choice-based methods, experimental design
- Ability to draw insights from data and communicate them in a compelling way to a “lay” audience
- Excellent project management and thought leadership skills; strong collaboration/teamwork skills; a problem-solver with a results-orientation
- Strong communication skills and high degree of comfort with influencing and communicating a point of view to senior-level members of the Prophet team, as well as leadership in the client companies
- Solid experience in fast-paced client oriented environments - the ideal candidate will have a combination of client-side, vendor/consultant and/or agency experience.
- Deep experience applying cutting edge qualitative and quantitative market research techniques to a variety of marketing issues
- Experience driving problem solving around complex business issues
- Content fluency around marketing, brand strategy and innovation issues in particular
- Experience managing and fostering strong vendor relationships
- Demonstrated success leading client relationships and collaborating on project teams
- Experience conducting business in a Mandarin language environment preferred
If you are interested in applying for the Insights Manager position, please email your resume to Prophet’s Recruiting Director, Alix Hahn, with "Insights Manager" in the subject line. Thank you.