Six Trends Shaping the Future of Interaction
Today, conversational technologies are becoming a more common way for people and business to engage with each other. This growth is evident not only in voice agents, but in chatbots as well.
This report lays out six significant trends that have emerged in the conversational business market during the past few years, as well as organizational considerations and recommendations to help business leaders plan and evaluate their conversational business initiatives and strategies.
- Channel to Concierge. Conversational AI is becoming an enabler of any customer-facing organization.
- Optimization to Insight. Yes, chatbots can help reduce costs, but the deeper value is in the data — the literal “voice of the customer.”
- Reactive to Anticipatory. Focus is shifting from reactive response to customer issues to anticipating and addressing them before the customer notices.
- Novel to Natural. Conversation has evolved from shiny object to table stakes for digital business.
- Interface to Fabric. Conversation isn’t just an interface; it’s becoming an orchestration layer that connects customer touchpoints with business systems.
- Browser to Anywhere. Early chatbots were largely web and mobile-based, but conversation is now embedded in an expanding range of wearable and other IoT devices.
As with any emerging technology, there is no one-size-fits-all approach, but this report includes recommendations intended to help business leaders begin or evaluate their conversational business strategy.