Benchmarks for Building an Agile Content System
The biggest challenge for today’s businesses is to consistently produce personalized content at a large scale, deliver it at breakneck speed, and credibly have an impact on revenue. The businesses that are successful in this endeavor have invested in an innovative set of capabilities that make up an “Agile Content System”.
For this report, we surveyed 375 respondents from businesses around the world to determine maturity benchmarks for each of these key content capabilities, and the practices that underpin them. Companies can use these benchmarks to rate their own progress and chart a path of improvement for their content teams.
Key Report Findings
- Brand awareness (35%) and thought leadership (28%) are the top content goals.
- Content teams that focused on more business centric goals such as lead generation, sales enablement and customer support were more digitally mature in practices such as data analysis, personalization and content production at scale.
- Producing content based on customer data is the top challenge for companies, followed by aligning teams on a strategy and hiring the right skills.
- A central content team is the most common production model (50%), but increasingly companies are shifting to a decentralized model (32%) to keep up with demand.
- Despite technological advancement, most companies still deploy inefficient “one-item-at-a-time” processes (62%) for content review and approval.
- Increasingly, businesses are using AI to help create audience segments (18%), generate content variations (19%) and power content testing processes (24%).