10 Use Cases for Leveraging Social Identity
Modern marketing requires deeper customer understanding to drive meaningful engagement. With social media — and the abundance of social profile and activity data — brands can glean this insight to identify and better understand prospects and customers throughout the customer lifecycle.
In case you missed it, last week we published Leveraging Social Identity: Know and Engage Customers Better to Build More Valuable Relationships.
Our report defines Social Identity as the information about an individual available in social media, including profile data and ongoing social activity. Leveraging Social Identity is fundamentally about knowing customers better in order to engage them more effectively.
From Awareness to Loyalty, there are many opportunities to do this throughout the customer lifecycle. Thus, a key framework from Andrew’s research are 10 Social Identity Use Cases Throughout the Customer Use Cases. These are:
- Leverage Influencers: Identify influencers through keywords, their connections or “social graph,” and/or their audiences to engage them and reach more prospects via WOM.
- Identify Prospects: Identify prospects through keywords, who they follow, and social engagement behaviors. Includes “conquesting,” or understanding when a prospect is looking at or dissatisfied with a competitor.
- Reach Custom Audiences: Upload existing customer records and then target Facebook ads to those with matching identifiers like email or phone number.
- Find Lookalike Audiences: Reach new audiences similar to existing customer segments. Companies can upload existing records and then Facebook will allow for the (anonymous) targeting of individuals with similar attributes.
- Nurture Leads: Create and update “lead scores” based on social actions, like commenting on or sharing a brand’s status update on Facebook, then trigger messaging across channels.
- Personalize Products: Tailor recommendations, samples, or products to individuals based on their interests and social graph.
- Gain Real-Time Insight: Sales and customer service agents can sell and support better with real-time contextual insight into the people they interact with.
- Retain and Reactivate: Identify customers who may churn, and reactivate customers who may be interested in purchasing again.
- Reward Loyalty: Distinguish valuable customers in social channels to send them personalized thanks, offers, support, or rewards.
- Tap Advocates: Identify brand advocates through social activity to engage, thank, and share relevant content with them.
We hope this framework is helpful to you as you look for opportunities to gain and leverage that insight. Take a look at the detailed report framework below which also includes a shortlist of vendors that serve each of those use cases.
Next week, we’ll discuss what Andrew’ research found about how brands are capturing and integrating insights from social media.